Summer will be over in a few weeks and it's never too early to start thinking about ways to lower your winter heating costs.
By making some basic tweaks to your home, you can stay warm and save money at the same time.
Here are 12 quick DIY ways to reduce your energy bill
- Seal drafts around doors and windows using weather stripping or caulking.
- Make sure your attic is well insulated.
- Get a water heater blanket if your unit is over 5 years old.
- Use natural sunlight for heating when available.
- Put your ceiling fans in reverse during the winter to move rising heat downward.
- Make sure your vents are not blocked by furniture.
- Get a programmable thermostat. If you really want to kick it up a notch, get a Nest.
- Use a humidifier. Adding moisture lets you lower the thermostat without feeling much colder.
- Put plastic film over windows.
- Try zoned heating. Close off rooms and vents in rooms that are not in use.
- Close off your fireplace and the flue on your chimney.
- Consider warming your bed with an electric blanket.
For further reading:
- Georgia natural gas guide
- Save up to 30% with this thermostat
- How to comparison shop energy providers in your area