Looking for some quick ways to make a little extra cash?
I've always been a big fan of a service called Fiverr.com, where people share things they're willing to do for $5. You might be able to hire someone to review your resume, design a website, improve a PowerPoint presentation or even write your Maid of Honor speech -- all for $5! The low price is often a loss leader allowing a contractor to develop a client base for their particular area of expertise.
Read more: How to establish your own side hustle
I have also talked in the past about eLance.com, which you can use to find freelancing and consulting jobs, or to offer your freelance services to others.
Apps that help you earn extra cash
Here are a few more options:
- Amazon Flex - The latest entry to this marketspace, Flex is a test in Amazon's home market of Seattle. The idea is they pay you as an independent contractor around $20 an hour to deliver packages to Prime customers in under 1 hour. You cover gas, maintenance and any other car expenses. If the test goes well, this service may be rolled out to New York, Baltimore, Miami, Dallas, Austin, Chicago, Indianapolis, Atlanta and Portland next.
- TaskRabbit.com: Hire someone in your local area to run errands for you. For example, if you buy Ikea furniture, you might hire a "rabbit" to assemble it for you. Or you might hire someone to pick up your dry cleaning. The service is only available in select areas.
- RedBeacon.com: Get price quotes and book appointments for local services, such as those provided by a plumber or electrician. Again, RedBeacon.com may only be available in select areas.
- CheckPoints.com: App that offers manufacturer deals while you're in the store. You earn points for simply scanning the barcode on an item in a store. No purchase of the product is necessary. You can redeem the points you collect for free gift cards, airline miles, and other perks.
- EasyShiftApp.com: Essentially turns you into an on-demand secret shopper. You're assigned "shifts" by product manufacturers who want people on the ground to go into stores and confirm that their merchandise is being displayed properly. The pay rate for a shift is between $3 and $8 and the money is remitted to you via PayPal.
- Foap: Make money by taking photos. Plus, you can charge as much as you want per photo.
- Field Agent: Find local jobs in your area and complete them within two hours for cash.