Summer is nearly here! I can't wait to throw on that bathing suit and hit the kiddie pool in the back yard with the kiddos. Oh, am I the only one that likes doing that? Well, it's fun and a great way to stay cool, but let's face it - we want more exciting free things to do this Summer than just hanging out in a small circular device that holds two inches of water and gets dirty every time a kid steps in from the grass...
So here are 6 fun things you can do that you may not have been aware of. They're unique, fun and best of all.....FREE!
1. Geocaching! It's an out-door, worldwide treasure hunt that is absolutely free to participate in. All you need do is visit the Geocaching website for more info and to get started!
2. Free Bowling! Did you know you that kids can bowl for free all Summer long? Check out Mommy's Wishlist for more details and look for a participating location in your area.
3. Pitch a Tent in the Backyard! These days you have to pay to go camping most places. Granted, it's not that expensive to rent a spot at a local campground, but you can do it for free by pitching that tent right in the backyard. The kids will have an adventure, and you'll still be close to the house in case you need anything.
4. Free Movies! Movie theaters will be offering free movies all Summer long! Check out A Mission to Save for more details. And if you don't see your movie theater on this list, call your local theater to ask if they have a Summer movie program.
5. Free Reading Programs! Kids can grab a free book or other freebies by reading more this Summer! So hit the library, get those kids reading and grab some free stuff while you're at it! While you're at the library, it might be fun to also check out a good movie while you are there for movie night with the family!
6. Visit a Local Farm! Farmers in your area are usually more than happy to accept visitors. And what's better, is some of them even have small petting zoos set up that you can visit for free! Ask some friends in your area or check out LocalHarvest.org to find farmers in your area.
With a little bit of creativity, you can have a lot of fun with the kids this Summer for free! What are some of your favorite, free adventures to have during the Summer months?
Crystal Collins is an Atlanta local, adventurer, a health advocate and thrifty as can be. Check her out on her blog at NaturalThrifty.com.
You can learn more ways to save, and connect with your local community at money saving class in your area. And a lot of times, the classes are free!